In a workshop on Digital Citizenship at today’s DENapalooza, Dean Shareski, the Community Manager for Discovery Education Canada talked about the three things that make a digital citizen (and pointed out that they really aren’t that different from the aspects of “traditional” citizenship). First, you need to establish a residence (or consciously create your online presence). Next, you start contributing to the community (by creating rather than merely consuming content). Finally, you engage in civil discourse (because we’re don’t always agree with our neighbours, virtual or otherwise).

Well, I would like to create content here in one of my residences and share something that I learned today – something I’m really excited about bringing back to my school on Monday, and to schools I’m at in the future.

In my first breakout session, Diana Williams introduced a group of teachers to Kiva.

Diana’s grade three class in an inner city school was inspired by Bill Ferriter (who started Team Kids Care). They began fundraising to lend money to people in Third World countries who were trying to make a better life for themselves and their children. They learned about finance and compared the community systems in Canada with those of different parts of the world. They developed criteria for what loans they would support and evaluated applicants on Kiva by those criteria. Then they had to persuade their classmates (through a written application and through speaking) to support the loan they chose. Most importantly, however, they learned that they had the power to make a difference in the world … not later, when they’re older, but right here and now.

How incredibly empowering for these children, to know that they could have such a positive and significant impact on the lives of people so very far away.

(The students came up with the lyrics, by the way – I asked. Pretty amazing!)

I do not teach at an inner city school. Many of our students have the latest technology, or are able to purchase the “in” clothing (expensive runners or basketball shoes are the big thing in my class). We have an absolutely phenomenal Parent Advisory Council who fundraises to provide our students with laptops and iPads, an addition to our school playground and supplies for our classrooms. As individuals and as a school, we have many advantages.

We also have a student leadership group that works hard to make a difference. They raise awareness about issues around poverty, world conflict, education and hunger with students who don’t always have an understanding of the incredible privation that exists in this world. Through school dances and other fundraising efforts, they raise money for various different charities – Free the Children and the BC SPCA to name only two.

Don’t misunderstand me: these are very worthy charities, and I know we will continue to support them. With Kiva, however, we can continue to make a difference over and over again. I think that’s a pretty great legacy for our grade seven leadership council as they leave for high school next year, and an incredible opportunity on which our younger students can continue to build.

As Diana said, instead of giving a handout, Kiva allows her students to give people a hand up. And that’s a pretty empowering idea – for students as well as educators.